Friday, May 23, 2014

Dear High School Graduate

[because I'm feeling nostalgic]

Dear High School Graduate,
Just one year ago I was right where you are. I remember.
I remember all the "lasts"
I remember my last prom, my last day as an ADL peer trainer, my last camp, I remember wanting to just grab on to all those last moments and save them. I didn't want anything to end, I mean in a way I did. I was ready for a change and to move on with my life but at the same time I wanted to stay with my friends and family and beloved Gilbert High School, because those were some of the best four years ever.
Not only was I sad but I was scared. I was scared out of my mind.... I was 18 years old and I was supposed to know exactly what I was doing. I was supposed to go out into the real world and just make it? I was vastly unprepared (or so I thought) I read tons of blogs and things on pinterest because that's what I do when I feel unprepared and It didn't make me feel any better. Well you know what? 
The Real World? IT ROCKS!
Since I've graduated high school, I've met so many amazing people! Had a job I loved, stopped that job, got a new job I love! Went to school, switched schools (major educational decision I made on my own) I lived in the dorms and hung out with my cool roommate and learned a lot from, then I got an apartment with roommates that are awesome and funny and I adore! I've been more broke then I've ever been in my entire life and still managed to have the most fun that I've ever had in my entire life. My faith has been tried and I have learned what I believe better than I ever did in high school. I fell in love with a boy who makes me happy. I've stayed in touch with some friends from high school and I've seen what crazy things they're doing with their lives. I know I am exactly where I'm supposed to be and it's crazy and fun and it's not anything I'm used to! It's not like high school was and it's not like the grown up real world but this time of my life is awesome. I have 2 older brothers, one is in the military and the other is serving a mission for our church. Both of them are exactly where they need to be too.

Life is wild and that's okay. 
It's okay to have absolutley no idea what your doing with your life and move out and move on anyway!
It's okay to figure it out as you go.
It's okay to ask for help.
It's okay to only have $20 left to your name.
It's okay to lose touch with people or keep in touch with people or make new friends.
It all works out. It really does. 
I so wish I could go back in time to my scared-out-of-my-mind 18 year old self, tear filled eyes the night before I left Gilbert, AZ and tell myself how wonderful my life turns out to be.

I can't do that so instead this is to you, my friends, my family, the class of 2014. Recent high school grads, the real world rocks. Embrace it. 

Sincerly, 
A not-so-recent high school grad.

1 comment:

  1. Also, college is REALLY hard. Like, REALLY hard. So be prepared.

    ReplyDelete